Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Olympics have Arrived...

For the next 16 days, the world will be a little different. The Olympic Games have once again brought us together in a way that is truly unique -- athletes from all over the world come to do nothing more than give their very best. Maybe we can all learn something from that concept...

I have always loved the Olympics. Maybe it's because I was born in upstate New York in 1977 -- right between (both in space and time) the Montreal Games of 1976 and the Lake Placid Games of 1980. I think the Olympics are in my blood. Not as a competitor, though. The closest I got to the winter games was probably playing hockey as a kid at lunch recess or "bobsledding" down the hill with my best friend (we'd take turns being the pilot).

I may not be an Olympic caliber athlete, but I'm a true blue Olympic fan. I cried when Dan Jansen fell after losing his sister to Leukemia, and I cried again when he won the gold medal 6 years later. I rooted for "Eddie the Eagle" and the Jamaican bobsled team. My heart races during short track speed skating and freestyle aerials. I am simply amazed by the Norwegian cross-country skiers. My favorite movie of all time might be "Miracle." And yes, I watch (and enjoy) figure skating.

As the Vancouver Games start, let me share a few thoughts from last night's opening ceremonies:

The show. The Canadians know how to put on a good show. It might not have been as dramatic and grand as the Beijing opening ceremonies, but I'm also pretty sure the participants weren't scared for their lives about messing up. China was a great host, but I have the feeling that if those drummers or stick-men would have been out of sync...well...it wouldn't turn out so well. The Canadians are laid back, eh. And I loved the performance -- especially the whales and the suspended skiers/ snowboarders.

Mounties. These guys and gals are very classy, very iconic, and totally Canadian. I just don't know if the whole poofy pants thing invokes fear into the enemy. They get two thumbs up for pageantry, but if push comes to shove, I'm glad we have the Marines.

The referee's oath. Interesting that the referee's oath was in French with no translation. I guess that gives the Russian judges "plausible deniability" when they totally screw someone over.

KD Lang. I found it interesting that there were no close ups of KD Lang during her performance of "Hallelujah." Not that I'm complaining, please don't misunderstand. But from what I saw, it looked just like Martin Sheen with the microphone, and I don't even know if he's Canadian...I'm just sayin'.

Steve Nash. It was awesome to see my favorite basketball player of all time carry the torch for his home country. Thanks for another amazing assist, Steve.


Nodar Kumaritashvili. What a tragic story to start these games. The Georgian luger was in Vancouver to fulfill a dream, and it ended prematurely. I found it heartwarming that the Georgian team received a standing ovation, and that the team chose to go forward in honor of their friend. I guess that puts everything in perspective: give your very best, no matter the circumstance. Do we give up when times are tough, when we have an excuse to quit? I certainly hope not.

My 8 year old daughter Elly, who besides myself was the only one to stay awake until the very end, said a sweet prayer before she went to bed. On her knees, she said "I'm thankful that the guy who died in the Olympics could go to heaven." That's right Elly, he's in a better place. And during the next 16 days, the world will be, too.

Go USA, and Go World.

No comments:

Post a Comment